Capstone’s debate coaches includes debaters who rank within the Top 10 best speakers in the world and one of the world’s best World Schools debating instructor. Additionally, all of our debate coaches possess extensive debating and/or coaching experience.
The Most Successful Teams in the American Parliamentary Debate Association
The Harvard College Debating Union is Harvard University’s official representatives to the world championship, holding a record eight national titles, more than any other institution. In March 2018, Capstone has partnered up with HCDU to host the next editions of the Harvard College World Schools Invitational — one of the most competitive and enriching debating competitions in the world.
Extensive Training and Competition
Members of the team will train, travel and compete together as a team. During training, team members will meet with Capstone and external subject and debate experts to improve their knowledge of relevant issues and debate technique. They will also practice against other top debate teams from schools and clubs around the world. As for tournaments, team members will have the opportunity to attend the largest and most prestigious debate tournaments throughout Asia and the world as part of the Capstone team.
University Admissions Support
A top debating resume paired with strong grades usually lead to the very best universities. The debate team members will get access to Capstone’s admissions consultants who will the students a strategic plan as to how to craft their profile, activities, and courses in anticipation of applying to elite universities.
At the highest level of our debating program is the debate team. The only higher step is representing the national debate team which a number of our team members have been invited to join. Admission into the team is done through a combination of an ongoing ladder within all centers, internal and external competitions and team trials. With hundreds of strong debaters across our different offices, our team represents one of the strongest collection of young debaters throughout Asia.
• Regional and international tournament opportunities for further exposure
• Issues in Depth: Philosophy, Geopolitics, and Economics
• Debate Framing and Emotional Resonance
• Mastery of the various debating speaker positions and role functions
• Local tournament opportunities for initial exposure to competitions
• Strategic responses and intermediate argumentative analysis
• Basics of evidence research and prepared topic casebuilding
• Format introduction to British Parliamentary debating
• Interview to determine relevant debating student’s strengths and weaknesses
• Foundations of logical reasoning and forming arguments and rebuttals
• Basics of public speaking and stage presence
• Format introductions to World Schools and Public Forum debating
Capstone Debaters achieve globally at the world’s most prestigious tournaments.
• World Schools Debating Championship
• World Individuals Public Speaking and Debating Championship
• Harvard World Schools Invitational
• Oxford Schools Debating Competition
• Cambridge Schools Debating Competition
• Yale’s World Scholars Cup
• Asian Schools BP Championship
#1 Debater in Hong Kong / Greater China History
In the 2016 World Schools Debate Championships (WSDC), Capstone’s Competitive Debating alumni representing Team Hong Kong ranked #2 and #4 in the world. They are also the first and third highest ranked speakers in Hong Kong’s school debating history.
Champions and Finalists Everywhere
Capstone students rank at the top of nearly every academic competition across Asia. Whether in writing, public speaking, debate, mock trial, Model United Nation (MUN), or other pursuits, our students consistently excel.